From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: CONFIG_CHECK_FATAL, making CONFIG_CHECKS fatal by default
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 01:52:12
1 Nuno J. Silva posted on Fri, 25 Jan 2013 22:06:35 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > I am almost sure the current check does *not* use config.gz but
4 > /usr/src/linux/.config. At least, I've not had config.gz enabled for a
5 > long time, and I've always seen the checks working. In fact, I think the
6 > checks print something along the lines of "looking for kernel source
7 > under /usr/src/linux... found config for linux-...".
8
9 Actually, AFAIK the current check looks for both config.gz and in the
10 kernel sources dir, since often one or the other isn't available, but a
11 lot of the time one or the other /is/ available, as well. (The kernel
12 can be configured without config.gz, and the sources symlink might be
13 stale and point to something not installed any more, or maybe the
14 partition containing the sources isn't mounted, or maybe the sources dir
15 is there but belongs to a user other than portage or root, with
16 permissions such that portage can't access it.)
17
18 So the current check is for whichever one it can find. I don't know
19 which it checks first and whether it checks both if the first is there
20 but comes up with a problem, but if one is there and not the other, it
21 should properly find and use the one, regardless of which one it is.
22
23 (Of course the checks are in the eclass. Anyone sufficiently curious
24 could just go look to see what it did.)
29 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman