From: Javier Marcet <jmarcet@×××××.com>
To: =?latin-9?Q?J=F6rg_Sonnenberger_=3Cjoerg=2Esonnenberger=40web=2Ede=3E?=@×××××××××××××.org
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: svgalib-1.9.16 ebuild's kernel module issues
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 14:14:06
1 * Jörg Sonnenberger <joerg.sonnenberger@×××.de> [021124 15:12]:
2
3 >> What I do now is having a folder in /usr/src where I keep a copy of all
4 >> the kernel module's sources which come with different ebuilds, e.g.
5 >> mplayer, svgalib, ...
6
7 [...]
8
9 >> This way, I can emerge/unmerge those packages without deleting the
10 >> module from the kernel tree and at the same time I can have various
11 >> kernels with their own modules, which I have to build manually whenever
12 >> I compile a new kernel.
13
14 [...]
15
16 >I like to debian approach of having all modules in /usr/src/modules and a script
17 >(make-kpkg) building the kernel with a given configuration, building the modules
18 >and packaging it all together. This would be useful not only for packages like
19 >mplayer or svgalib which are using "support" modules, but esp. for module only
20 >ebuilds like alsa-driver.
21
22 Yes, that's approximately what I'm doing now on Gentoo, only that I
23 haven't automatized the kernel-modules build yet.
24 I hadn't included alsa-driver on the list of ebuilds I cited because in
25 that case it is basically a 'kernel-modules' ebuild, i.e. it only
26 contains kernel modules, nothing else. Thus, just making Gentoo believe
27 the package is not installed (removing the entries in /var/db/pkg) and
28 re-emerging it when I compiled a new kernel did the job.
29 This approach, on the other hand, was cumbersome with packages on which
30 the kernel module is only a small add-on, which accompanies a much bigger
31 tarball.
32 Take for example mplayer.
33
34 Nonetheless, I would give a thumbs up to concentrate and treat in a
35 special way all the kernel modules, mplayer's, svgalib's, alsa-driver's
36 et all.
37 Hence, if you emerge something like svgalib, you would get
38 media-libs/svgalib _and_ something like sys-kernel/svgalib,
39 sys-kernel/svgalib-kernel, or something similar.
40
41 Then we would need a new command, ala make-kpkg, which would rebuild all
42 the installed modules for the current kernel. We would use this when we
43 need modules for a new kernel. Removal of previously-built modules
44 should be an option, not enabled by default. After all, if you decide
45 you no longer want to use an old kernel, you'll have to remove all the
46 modules for that version yourself, and therefore it wouldn't be too much
47 of a hassle to remove extra-modules too - the effort would be exactly
48 the same, actually -.
49
50 Last, but no least, unmerging media-libs/svgalib would also unmerge
51 sys-kernel/svgalib. Here I'm talking about the sources which got
52 installed on /usr/src or wherever we decided to put them on, and not
53 about the built modules themselves.
54 Options to enable/disable some of this behaviors could be OK too.
55
56 Oh, if you are wondering about the name collision of both
57 media-libs/svgalib and sys-kernel/svgalib, it is my assumption that
58 emerge would only return media-libs/svgalib to a search, that is,
59 sys-kernel/svgalib would be a transparent addition, which you don't have
60 to specify.
61
62 Any Gentoo core developer might share his/her (is there any female
63 developer within Gentoo?) thoughts on this?
67 Javier Marcet <jmarcet@×××××.com>