From: Marc Giger <gigerstyle@×××.ch>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage through SSH
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 14:35:16
1 On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 15:07:38 +0200
2 John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu> wrote:
3
4 > Could one implement all packagemanagement emerge does through ssh
5 > (scp)?
6 >
7 > I would like to be able to use this command:
8 >
9 > emerge -u world server.mydomain.com
10 >
11 > where world, make.conf and other settings would be read from the
12 > server however the portage tree would be local so only one computer
13 > needs emerge sync, and packages would be crosscompiled for the server
14 > and then copied through ssh to the server.
15 >
16 > "emerge -u sendmail *.mydomain.com" =)
17 >
18 > This way I could spare my poor 486 from compiling duties.
19
20 What's with distcc?
21
22 DISTCC_HOSTS="compiling_hosts" emerge -u sendmail ??
23
24 Just leave localhost away from DISTCC_HOSTS.
25 So it will only do preprocessing and such things on your 486. The object
26 generation will do the "compiler_host...
27
28 greets
29
30 Marc