From: MIkey <mikey@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gratuitous useflaggery (doc and examples)
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 22:41:39
1 Ferris McCormick wrote:
2
3 > I hesitate to raise my head again, but why not use
4 > FEATURES='-noman' emerge ...
5 >
6 > (FEATURES='-noman -noinfo -nodoc' USE='doc' emerge ...
7 > for that matter.)?
8 >
9 > I use that sort of thing for, say,
10 > FEATURES='-distcc ccache' MAKEOPTS='-j2'emerge ...
11 > on some specific occasions, and it does what it looks like it should do.
12
13 That is of course always an option.
14
15 But, I have a dream... That some day, some way, I will be able to control
16 _everything_ I need relating to building and installing via USE flags and
17 package.use.
18
19 I don't think using _anything_ in the environment should ever be allowed
20 because there is no way to track it during upgrades or automated building
21 (catalyst, installing from pre-packaged binaries, for examples). Not to
22 mention the environment is not exactly clean. Keeping track of the myriad
23 of ways you can alter a package build/install is a headache, I would prefer
24 it all be done through one consistent interface... From what I can tell,
25 the use of FEATURES="noman nodoc noinfo" is being deprecated anyway.
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list