From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC about another *DEPEND variable
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 14:48:03
1 On Thursday 21 September 2006 10:04, Brian Harring wrote:
2 > I agree; while I'm labeling it ABI, includes both bad soname handling
3 > and seperate sonames.
4
5 those people should be smacked (for the interest of disclosure, i have
6 violated the "bad soname" rule for the sake of following upstream)
7
8 > Feel free to point out a 4th option if I'm missing it, but for the
9 > request, that's what exists afaict; meanwhile, stating that pkgs are
10 > being stupid, while true, doesn't actually solve the issue :)
11
12 4) portage maintains a list of ABI SONAMEs in use and does not unmerge the
13 library until all consumers are gone
14
15 i'm referring to the specific file of course, not anything else in the
16 package ... so integrating the hack eutils.eclass:preserve_old_lib() into
17 portage so it isnt a hack (not a knock against the current implementation
18 here; it's always going to be a hack until portage manages proper unmerging
19 of the ABI library)
20 -mike