From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] One request for the next SoC: non already-devs students
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 20:42:30
1 On 3/2/08, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 3/2/08, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò <flameeyes@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > I know this is going to stir up quite some discussion, but I do think
5 > > it's worth trying requesting it at least.
6 > >
7 > > In the past two years we had quite a few applications from students that
8 > > were already full-fledged Gentoo developers. I sincerely would like that
9 > > this year we put as a rule that Gentoo developers cannot partecipate in
10 > > Summer of Code as students for Gentoo.
11 > >
12 > > I'm not asking to penalise Gentoo developers are students. But I
13 > > sincerely think the main goal of Summer of Code is to allow new people
14 > > to enter the scene of Free Software, to understand how Free Software
15 > > projects work and so on. Gentoo Developers are already pretty well
16 > > "inside" this world.
19 > OK
23 > > I think it should be a self-made decision to abstain from applying as a
24 > > student for what you already partecipate in, but as such concerns don't
25 > > seem to be widespread (at least as the last two years shown), I'm asking
26 > > for a formal decision to all the developers. If that is requested, I'm
27 > > even willing to bring this in front of the council.
30 > The summer of code faq specifically addresses this question; so
31 > obviously it was a concern and they dealt with it.
32
33 Brian suggested I add a link, so ;)
34
35 http://code.google.com/soc/2008/faqs.html#0.1_already_opensource
40 > > Gentoo's ranks are quite reduced nowadays, and a few persons have shown
41 > > conerns about our current recruiting methods being able to judge clearly
42 > > technical and social skills, as well as the time one is ready to pour
43 > > into the project. I think SoC could be used as a pretty good recruiting
44 > > method: as you are going to work quite a bit with the student, you can
45 > > easily judge availability and technical and social skills. Leaving SoC
46 > > applications open to developers means wasting this opportunity.
49 > OK
53 > > There are many other organisations partecipating, I think it would be
54 > > quite feasible for Gentoo developers wanting to be a student SoC to
55 > > choose another one, in which they are not involved already. Yes it's
56 > > easier for them to do something for Gentoo as they are already
57 > > contributing, but that is not the point of Summer of Code, the point is
58 > > to introduce new people into projects, not giving money to people to do
59 > > what they already do.
62 > Your entire argument is based on the assumption that the Summer of
63 > Code program's primary goal is to recruit new developers for Open
64 > Source projects. While this is one goal I am unsure if holding it
65 > above the others is necessary.
69 > > And just to take a stance, even if this request is to be rejected, I'm
70 > > not going to mentor a student that is already a Gentoo developer, for
71 > > sure.
74 > Your choice, as I badly wrote in the guide[1], mentors must be williing.
78 > > So to be clear, I'm not trying to look down to anybody, I don't even
79 > > want to stop people from being paid for their work. I just wish that we
80 > > can focus this opportunity to improve the Gentoo project as a whole.
83 > I disagree and I will mentor anyone who meets Google's submission
84 > requirements and who writes a good proposal.
85 >
86 > -Alec
87 >
88 > [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/userrel/soc/mentoring.xml