From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New PROPERTIES=interactive value to identify interactive packages?
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 04:44:53
1 On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 9:27 PM, Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o> wrote:
2 >> Please consider a new PROPERTIES=interactive setting that allows an
3 >> ebuild to indicate that it uses stdin and stdout for user
4 >
5 > I don't think anyone will disagree with this one. The one problem that I see
6 > is that if the ebuild still doesn't have this value in it, portage will
7 > *look* like it has hung itself out to dry. I have no idea if this is easy to
8 > fix or not. If it is easy, then I still would like to propose that it gets
9 > sent to the foreground when in background mode. What will portage's behavior
10 > be when the user asks to be in background mode and there is an ebuild in the
11 > depgraph that has PROPERTIES=interactive? If it bails out, then the problem
12 > described above is moot (only if maintainers are diligent).
13
14 The build will also fail if the maintainer is not diligent enough to
15 add proper packages to DEPEND;
16 I don't necessarily see how it makes that much difference adding more
17 things for them to do.
18
19 If you can propose a means to figure out if an ebuild is stuck waiting
20 on something or actually doing work then propose it;
21 otherwise I think this is good enough.
22
23 -alec
26 > -Jeremy