From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] dev-python/ package naming policy?
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 16:38:14
1 Hi, everyone.
2
3 TL;DR: I'd like to propose naming dev-python/* packages following PyPI
4 names whenever possible, case-preserving, with modifications only when
5 necessary to match PN rules.
8 So far the naming in dev-python/* hasn't been exactly consistent.
9 Myself I've been mostly following "whatever's the easiest" policy which
10 generally meant following GitHub project names whenever we fetched from
11 there.
12
13 This mostly made sense so far, as I've been thinking of dev-python/
14 primarily in terms of dependencies of other packages. However, it's
15 been pointed out that this makes it hard for people to find packages
16 they're looking for.
17
18 The vast majority of packages in dev-python/ are also published on PyPI
19 [1]. They can afterwards be installed using tools such as pip, or
20 specified as dependencies of other projects — using their PyPI names
21 in every case.
22
23 On top of that, it is not unknown for multiple packages with very
24 similar names to coexis, say "foo", "pyfoo" and "python-foo". When GH
25 project names come into the picture, this can get even more ambiguous.
26 Don't even get me started about developers pushing duplicate packages
27 because they didn't find the existing instance.
30 To improve consistency and make packages easier to find, I'd like to
31 propose going forward that when packages are published on PyPI, we use
32 their official PyPI names. This also means preserving the case for
33 the few packages that use CamelCase names and similar.
34
35 Some modifications will be necessary. For example, it is legal for PyPI
36 package names to include dot (".") — we normally translate that to a
37 hyphen ("-"). We may also have use cases for creating multiple Gentoo
38 packages from the same PyPI package (see e.g. dev-python/ensurepip-*).
39 Then, there are of course Python packages that aren't published on PyPI.
40
41 Still, I think as a general rule of thumb this would make sense. WDYT?
44 [1] https://pypi.org/
47 Best regards,
48 Michał Górny