From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, kde@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: KDE3.4 - kdeedu and USE=python
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 18:37:56
1 On Saturday 19 March 2005 20:11, Josh Grebe wrote:
2 > Hello All,
3 >
4 > kdeedu-3.4 has added support for scripting the kig geometry application
5 > through python, if you have sys-libs/boost installed. It is currently set
6 > if USE=python, which is a default USE and a dangerous one to disable.
7 >
8 > Boost does not play nice with the common Unix build processes. It creates
9 > its own replacement for auoconf and make, and it won't compile with -j>1.
10 > This alone is enough to make someone to be weary about it, but add to that
11 > that it is a huge c++ library that you more than likely don't want, and
12 > that it is installed by default for functionaliy that you more than likely
13 > don't want... Add to that that it takes 275 megs of space installed...
14 >
15 > I'd like to propose that we change it from the gloabl USE=python to
16 > something like a local USE=scripting.
17 Sounds reasonable, I don't mind. Boost is indeed a heavy dep.
18 Could you file a bug so we don't forget? And if in a little while noone comes
19 up with a reason not to do this, we'll do it.
22 Dan Armak
23 Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)
24 Public GPG key: http://dev.gentoo.org/~danarmak/danarmak-gpg-public.key
25 Fingerprint: DD70 DBF9 E3D4 6CB9 2FDD 0069 508D 9143 8D5F 8951