From: "Damon M. Conway" <damon@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo's portage
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 09:22:52
1 >1) documentation: please ensure the 'build' options
2 >(/etc/make.conf.build) are explained as to what all the three letter
3 >acronyms mean and the impact/dependencies of picking them
4 >
5 >2)documentation: the departure from 'normal' system startup scripts
6 >needs to described. What will happen when a 'normal' non-gentoo
7 >application tries to install itself expecting a 'standard' layout?
8
9 Yes, we need documentation. It's probably about time we look at putting a
10 doco team together. The 1.0 release is sneaking up on us.
11
12 >3) portage: a great drawback seems that 'constant human effort' is
13 >required to ensure the portage tree is updated. I can see this becoming
14 >an issue for gentoo. There are many applications released and updated
15 >that must conform to the portage system to make sure 'the latest and
16 >greatest' really IS available "as advertised" on the web site :) eg. I
17 >needed the latest Matrox drivers and Powerdesk utility which I installed
18 >manually. my system's portage is not aware of manual installs I perform
19 >and I needed the drivers before they could be added to the 'gentoo
20 >portage' tree.
21
22 Please see the 4000 packages in the FreeBSD ports tree. This method is
23 tried and true.
24
25 >4) portage: sounds powerful - perhaps it can also be used as a means of
26 >a useful/automated/'user-friendly' 'uninstall' which is sorely lacking
27 >in the unix world. I have tried 4+ distributions of Linux and am
28 >getting a bit tired of telling their respective 'uninstall' that when I
29 >want to remove a game, I would STILL like to keep gnome on my system.
30
31 It does, but it's not very userfriendly at the moment. To unmerge an app,
32 do this:
33
34 ebuild /var/db/pkg/<category>/<app-ver>/<app-ver>.ebuild unmerge
35
36 It will only unmerge that version of that application, and nothing else.
37
38 >5) portage: if possible (space requirements, etc), 'generic 386'
39 >binaries for the base system should be in the portage tree so that
40 >initial installs/builds can progress faster. the 'emerge system' on my
41 >P4 1.4 took a looong time. Would be better to have as much generic base
42 >system and then be able to fine tune as desired.
43
44 Yes, but right now we are in a pre-release state and doing a full build for
45 each release would get us nowhere.
46
47 >6) portage: organization. consider reducing the # of categories.
48 >People can mainly remember 7 +/- 2 items of information. go into
49 >/usr/portage and there are a lot of choices which will only increase in
50 >the future. Consider:
51
52 They don't have to remember them, they are in /usr/portage. They are also
53 pretty self explanitory.
54
55 > /usr/portage/base (anything necessary to get from PC booted to
56 >minimal command line)
57 > /usr/portage/GUI (user interfaces, windowing systems)
58 > /user/portage/development (development tools, languages)
59 >
60 > etc. Note that i used 'development' instead of 'dev'. lets use
61 >long file names as necessary.
62 >
63 > and don't go too deep:
66 >/usr/portage/development/languages/python/libs/3rdparty/UnimportantLib
67
68 This is no better than dev-python/libN. You have to go no farther than
69 /usr/portage to get a view of where things are. Also, you can do an
70 "emerge <category>/<app>" from anywhere in the filesystem, and portage with
71 install the latest version of that app with dependencies. Can you imagine
72 having to type "emerge
73 development/languages/python/libs/3rdparty/UnimportantLib" ?
74
75 I think the more you play with the system, the more you'll begin to see
76 it's logic. Also, I know that some of us would like to see a search
77 feature. However, that is low on the list for now. We're in the process
78 of shaking bugs out of the system and defining a solid base from which to
79 work from.
80
81 >So far, gentoo seems to be the distribution I would prefer to use.
82 >Congratulations on the results you've achieved.
83
84 drobbins deserves all the credit. He's designed and built the only Linux
85 distro I'll use.
86
87 kabau
90 "UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that
91 would also stop you from doing clever things." --Doug Gwyn