From: Jonas Stein <jstein@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Too many proxied maintainers who retire after first contribution. (was: Packages up for grabs: games-engines/love)
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2020 21:38:52
1 Dear all
2 >
3 > the following packages are up for grabs after retirement
4 > of the proxied maintainer:
5 >
6 > https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/games-engines/love
7 >
8 > The package remains now with several open tickets and even patches.
9 > User reported the patch works.
10
11 The proxied maintainer fixed exactly one bug while he was proxied
12 maintainer.
13 This happens too often.
14 Some retire are one, others after very few contributions.
15
16 Please advertise that you do not need to be maintainer to create a pull
17 request. You should only be maintainer, if you are willing to monitor
18 the bug tracker and take care of the packages in the long term.
19
20 In the past we gave too often the impression "if you want this bug
21 fixed, become a proxied maintainer"
22
23 Our bugzilla does not help here (https://bugs.gentoo.org/719720)
24 "No maintainer - Look at
25 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Proxy_Maintainers if you want to
26 take care of it"
27
28 While this is not totally wrong, it seems that we mislead the volunteers
29 here. Perhaps some read "it" as the bug, while we mean "care for all
30 bugs and keep the package up to date over the next years"
33 Best,
34 Jonas