From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Christian Kniep <ckniep@××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: /etc/hostname on gentoo
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 21:22:56
1 On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 04:25:30PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 3:57 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > I am planning to change the logic in /etc/init.d/hostname so that if
5 > > /etc/hostname exists, the first word out of that file will be used as
6 > > the hostname rather than any setting in /etc/conf.d/hostname. If you
7 > > don't want /etc/hostname, just don't create it and the settings from
8 > > /etc/conf.d/hostname will still be used.
11 > Keep in mind that this is potentially problematic for a few reasons:
12 >
13 > 1. The hostname could change after openrc is done setting it. If it
14 > does, a program that reads /etc/hostname won't get the real hostname.
15
16 This is also true for /etc/conf.d/hostname, so I don't see the problem
17 here.
18
19 > 2. You could have a situation where multiple containers use the same
20 > /etc. Obviously in this situation you wouldn't want to store the
21 > hostname anywhere in /etc unless you wanted them to all have the same
22 > hostname. It would be better to obtain it from dhcp, or to have it
23 > set before init is run during initialization.
24
25 /etc/init.d/hostname doesn't run inside containers, so this is not
26 relevant.
27
28 > The main danger is people not thinking of all the scenarios. I'm not
29 > quite sure why we even need /etc/hostname now given these issues and
30 > the fact that we've apparently gotten along for a long time without
31 > it. Have we ever gotten around to making /etc/mtab a symlink yet? I
32 > know it wasn't for a long time. It seems like we are moving away from
33 > container support when we should be moving towards it if anything...
34
35 Container support is controlled by the keyword line in dependencies.
36 OpenRC can detect most containers, so if you put the proper keywords on
37 that line and RC_SYS is set correctly or the container is autodetected
38 properly, openrc will not run the scripts that it shouldn't run in the
39 container.
40
41 Yes, /etc/mtab is a symlink by default now; that was taken care of a
42 while back.
43
44 William