From: Dror Levin <spatz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] pkg_pretend USE validation and VALID_USE alternative
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 18:40:08
1 On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 20:04, David Leverton <levertond@××××××××××.com>wrote:
2
3 > If anyone's been personal and insulting in this discussion, it isn't
4 > Ciaran.
5 >
6 I'll take that as an April Fools' day joke.
9 > As for the topic: the only real concern about VALID_USE that I've seen from
10 > anyone is about whether Portage can implement it reasonably soon. Since
11 > some
12 > people think it can, how about picking some reasonable time period
13 > (allowing
14 > for bikeshedding about the syntax, of course), and if VALID_USE isn't
15 > supported in Portage by then but EAPI 4 is otherwise ready then we postpone
16 > VALID_USE until later?
17 >
18 Here's another suggestion: how about we don't impose any ridiculous
19 constraints on development and keep this discussion on the technological
20 side of the original proposal? If the only concerns are about the time it
21 will take to implement, then this suggestion must be perfect in all aspects
22 and so we should probably wait until it's done, even if is takes a loooong
23 time!
24
25 I really like this attitude, though. Once you're done criticizing the
26 technological aspects of some proposal you start raising concerns about how
27 hard it is to implement features for Portage, how long that takes, etc.
28 Well, since that's not really constructive, I suggest you keep those
29 concerns to yourself.
30
31 Dror Levin