From: John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu>
To: "Olivier Crête" <tester@g.o>
Cc: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] strange gentoo shutdown sequence
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 06:45:31
1 I remember a time when gentoo (enoch?) used djb's daemontools to manages
2 services. Why was this changed?
3
4 -John
5
6 On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 08:15, Olivier Crête wrote:
7 > On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 07:10, John Nilsson wrote:
8 > > While on the topic:
9 > > Is it resonable to patch gdm so that /etc/init.d/xdm is zapped after
10 > > gdm is killed by selecting reboot/shutdown from the login screen?
11 > > It just annoys me that the script errors while shutting down.
14 > This is imho a misfeature of the current initscripts system. The
15 > started-ness of an application is only checked against a file and not
16 > against the current real status. We should probably add a possible
17 > "status()" function to them (that would default to true) that would
18 > check if the service is still running in a custom way.. And zap it if it
19 > isnt... The problem there is with dependencies, should they be stopped
20 > if the service died? But the current system is clearly broken..