From: "Harald van Dijk" <truedfx@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Installing COPYING or LICENSE files
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 13:42:05
1 On Tue, Dec 27, 2005 at 03:57:55PM +0100, Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
2 > On Tue, Dec 27, 2005 at 12:20:39PM +0100, Harald van Dijk wrote:
3 > > iputils doesn't do a make install, and if it did, it would still be
4 > > reasonable if that didn't copy the license, since the users who run that
5 > > themselves don't need it.
6 >
7 > I don't really see the big difference (regarding this issue) in
8 > manually installing a package or using Gentoo Portage for installing
9 > it?
10 >
11 > Why would people who install it via a script in Gentoo Portage want
12 > the useless files installed - when they wouldn't want them installed
13 > when doing a manual install?
14
15 Right, end users don't need them, regardless of package manager. But as
16 I mentioned in my previous message, ebuilds are not only for end users.