From: Grant Goodyear <goodyea@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] /usr/spool/mail versus maildir: use item needed
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 18:11:25
1 On Wed, 2002-04-17 at 18:55, Jared H. Hudson wrote:
2 > I need a use item that will tell programs whether to build support for
3 > /var/spool/mail or ~/.maildir
4 >
5 > for the ~/.maildir, I think "maildir" is appropiate.
6 > For /var/spool/mail I do not know what the keyword should be...any ideas?
7 >
8 > For example, procmail by default delivers to /var/spool/mail, but the
9 > ebuild we have changes that to deliver to ~/.maildir. I would like to
10 > make this a option based on a use item.
11
12 I suggest "mbox" or "maildir", since that's what almost everybody
13 calls the two major types of mailboxes. Seemant points out that
14 only one flag is really needed, since mbox and maildir formats
15 are never used simultaneously system-wide. Another alternative
16 would be to have a flag in /etc/rc.conf (or /etc/conf.d/mail,
17 if preferred) for MAILBOX_TYPE, although I suppose that it's
18 always possible that somebody might change schemes and then want
19 to know which packages were built w/ which mbox/maildir USE flags.
20
21 I've been wanting to implement this forever, and never got around
22 to it. Since you're willing, pick your favorite approach
23 and go with it. Feel free to rework any other parts of our
24 mail system that need updating.
25
26 Thanks,
27 Grant