From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: SCM choices (was: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo infra backups)
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 13:25:32
1 On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 07:58:59 -0400
2 Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Please, everyone, go back and read the actual *facts* that were
5 > discovered using copies of *our* repositories before going around
6 > using data from outside sources.
7
8 Alec Warner's test results are here, of course:
9
10 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/infrastructure/cvs-migration.xml
11
12 FI on gentoo-x86 we're doing about 10,000 commits a month (from 100 to
13 500 commits a day), according to my #gentoo-commits logs. (Assuming
14 the SVN revision is a 32-bit number, it'll take about 1000 years to
15 saturate).
16
17 Personally I'm a fan of SVN over CVS, but that's from a client
18 perspective not the server. It would be interesting to find out why
19 SVN consumes double the bandwidth to checkout a full tree. It would
20 also be interesting to find out why the server disk usage is 4x that of
21 CVS (and what difference the choice of back-end makes).
22
23 FWIW the things I like in SVN, in order of importance to me are:
24 1) ability to do diffs off-line
25 2) maintains history when copying, moving etc (e.g. 'svn log' of CPV-r2
26 traces the history back through the point at which it was copied
27 from CPV-r1)
28 3) command line is largely the same as CVS (which avoids confusion
29 when moving between CVS and SVN repositories)
30
31 Alec - any chance you could flesh out exactly what tests you did? I
32 would have expected that the update-diff-commit cycle that we (well,
33 repoman) typically do would be more efficient on SVN than CVS, in
34 terms of the amount of data transferred between the client and server
35 (svn client sends diffs, cvs client sends whole files, and the diff
36 operation in the repoman cycle would be local in svn).
39 Kevin F. Quinn
42 Kevin F. Quinn