From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP] Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI)
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 00:21:52
1 On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 17:10:46 -0700
2 Joe Peterson <lavajoe@g.o> wrote:
3 > I probably missed some of the stuff leading up to this GLEP, but what
4 > is the problem with having the EAPI in the file and determining it by
5 > looking at the file contents?
6
7 Motivation, second bullet point:
8
9 | Possibility to extend the behaviour of inherit and add new global
10 | scope functions (as a result of not sourcing ebuilds with unsupported
11 | EAPI).
12
13 > Making the file extension variable by adding "-<EAPI>" to it would, in
14 > my opinion, make the portage tree a bit less clean and not as elegant.
15 > Wouldn't software (like editors determining file type by looking at
16 > what is after the ".") also need to be reworked to recognize a
17 > variable string after "-" at the end?
18
19 Yep, but that's not very difficult. And as a side effect, editors could
20 then provide EAPI aware highlighting.
21
22 > I imagine a lot of people do things now like 'find . -name "*.ebuild"
23 > | xargs grep ...'. Not that they could not change their habbits, but
24 > forgetting to add a more complex matching rule could lead to errors
25 > here.
26
27 -name '*.ebuild*' isn't exactly much more complex...
30 Ciaran McCreesh