From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: /etc/hostname on gentoo
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2016 14:21:40
1 On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 14:34:20 +0200
2 Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 08/28/2016 08:30 AM, Daniel Campbell wrote:
5 > > On 08/24/2016 09:42 AM, Zac Medico wrote:
6 > >> On 08/24/2016 09:33 AM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
7 > >>> * no benefit put forth so far, other than that it's the same file that
8 > >>> systemd uses, which is true but not beneficial as far as I can tell
9 > >>
10 > >> It's a de facto standard. Being different for the sake of being
11 > >> different is not a virtue in cases like this.
12 > >>
13 > >
14 > > And doing things because "everyone else does it" is dumb, because it
15 > > precludes our ability to choose and makes us subject to the decisions
16 > > made outside of our distribution. Of course, as a distro we're subject
17 > > to outside decisions often, but what's the point of being a distro if
18 > > you're doing things the same way everyone else does?
21 > At this point I feel the need to point at /etc/mtab and how it doesn't
22 > work anymore. Or rather:
23 >
24 > In the old days it did *not* carry all mountpoints, so you could hide
25 > things like /dev and /run so that "umount -a" would not screw you sideways.
26 >
27 > Then tools forgot to properly update mtab because hurr why u no symlink
28 > to /proc/mounts (oh wait, /proc/self/mounts )
29 >
30 > So everyone migrated to /etc/mtab as a symlink (even OpenRC, because
31 > everyone does it)
32 >
33 > ... and now if you still instincively use umount -a you unmount /run and
34 > other bits, breaking lots of stuff (can't shutdown if OpenRC strongly
35 > considers not having booted!)
38 > That's why some of us are very resistant to change.
39
40 Which could be pretty much summarized as 'I'm unhappy because I was
41 abusing the existing system to make "umount -a" not do what it was
42 supposed to do, and I'm unhappy because now it started to work
43 correctly'.
46 Best regards,
47 Michał Górny
48 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>