From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Making systemd more accessible to "normal" users
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 14:16:06
1 On 15 May 2013 21:41, Fabio Erculiani <lxnay@g.o> wrote:
2 > Are we realizing that in order to keep systemd out of our way, we're
3 > currently writing and maintaining drop-in replacements for the
4 > features that systemd is already providing in an actively maintained
5 > state? openrc-settingsd was the first thing that we as Gentoo
6 > developers (Pacho?) had to write in order to merge GNOME 3.6 into our
7 > tree.
8
9 It's well known that Gnome is part and parcel of the whole vertical
10 integration circus.
11
12 > And (and!) how does all this fit together with eudev? If the idea is
13 > to either put logind in udev (thus, not creating a separate logind
14 > ebuild), it means that eudev is already a dead end for GNOME users,
15 > unless the eudev team is going to provide logind as well.
16
17 I'm not sure what the eudev team is planning, but it's been working
18 well so far for me. And since I don't use Gnome, it's not an issue as
19 long as other desktop environments are not making the same mistakes.
20
21 > I don't want to start a flamewar here, I was the one who called
22 > Lennart software lennartware, but science is science, and a reality
23 > check had to be done: at some near point in the future, our users will
24 > be forced to replace udev/eudev with systemd. Like it. Or not.
25
26 This isn't science. And unless you use Gnome, I don't see why we would
27 be forced to use systemd. KDE, Xfce, LXDE and Razor-qt are still happy
28 to support non-systemd operating systems. The way I see it is that
29 Gnome is making itself more of a non-option on Gentoo, Slackware and
30 BSD systems.
31
32 > While I successfully use both openrc and systemd, I _do_ think that
33 > (and expect to see) more and more users (and developers) will be
34 > switching to systemd.
35 > Is there anything we can do? Besides "being prepared", I don't think so.
36 > Do we control upstreams? No, sorry.
37
38 We don't control upstreams, but we still have choices. At this point I
39 only see Gnome and udev upstreams who are forcing their users to use
40 systemd. (There may be other projects too that I'm not aware of.)
41
42 > So what do we want to do then? Isolate from the rest of the world?
43 > (It's not a sarcastic question). I hope that everybody does their own
44 > reality check.
45
46 We say that Gentoo stands for choice. That is why we should resist
47 allowing systemd (and Gnome) to take those choices away with their
48 mistaken idea of vertical integration. We do have other options.
51 Cheers,
52
53 Ben | yngwin
54 Gentoo developer