From: Joe Peterson <lavajoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 55 updated
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 15:30:43
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Mon, 18 May 2009 16:07:20 +0100
3 > Steven J Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 >> I missed the clamour of developers complaining about this
5 >> oh-so-burdensome restriction that they've been dealing with for at
6 >> least 5 years.
7 >
8 > Why do you think I wrote the awful hack that is versionator?
9 > Anything that finally lets us kill that off has to be good...
10
11 I have to disagree. As Steve said, the fact that Gentoo has a strict
12 way to specify versions brings clarity and uniformity to our tree,
13 regardless of the myriad upstream conventions. I do not think that
14 allowing all of those upstream conventions in our filenames is a
15 benefit. It is actually quite ugly and would make the tree harder to
16 comprehend. Someone looking at various packages in our tree would need
17 to learn each specific upstream format in order to make sense of the
18 filename content. The current consistency in versions in the tree is a
19 great feature, IMHO.
20
21 Using versionator and $MY_PV is, as I see it, a translation method. It
22 gives us the best of both worlds: the ability to deal with upstream
23 versions and a consistent Gentoo version format. These mechanisms could
24 certainly be improved upon, of course, and handling some cases is
25 currently difficult, as is handing the case in which upstream's tarball
26 file does not contain the version, but these are fixable issues.
27
28 -Joe