From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Copyright issues (Was: udev-ng?)
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 04:34:19
1 On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 11:21:20PM -0500, Richard Yao wrote:
2 > On 11/18/2012 11:22 PM, Greg KH wrote:
3 > > On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 11:05:05PM -0500, Richard Yao wrote:
4 > >> On 11/18/2012 09:58 PM, Greg KH wrote:
5 > >
6 > > <an on-topic discussion about copyright thread response from me snipped>
7 > >
8 > >> We develop open source software in public repositories. A developer
9 > >> decided it would be helpful to change the software name systemd to
10 > >> eudev, among other things, in various files after misunderstanding what
11 > >> the Foundation officers in charge of legal matters had approved. You
12 > >> objected to it. I asked for clarification after seeing that your name
13 > >> had not been removed from any copyright notices. You explained your
14 > >> complaint. I asked you to wait for the person who wrote the commit to
15 > >> fix it. It was fixed.
16 > >>
17 > >> That is all that was necessary. Whining on the list did not wake the
18 > >> author of that commit sooner. Furthermore, the changes that you wanted
19 > >> would have been made in a few days had you not become involved.
20 > >
21 > > None of the words you wrote here seem to me to be related to my response
22 > > about copyright, the Gentoo Foundation, and how copyright works for
23 > > software projects at all. So I'm a bit confused, what are you concerned
24 > > about here?
25 > >
26 > > greg k-h
27 >
28 > Your issue has been resolved. You can stop beating the dead horse now.
29
30 I was responding to a discussion about how copyright works, and how it
31 should be marked as such for Gentoo-related projects, that was not
32 correct in my knowledge of copyright law. It had nothing to do with "my
33 issue", or the udev issue at all, which is why I even changed the
34 subject.
35
36 Oh well.
37