From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 42 (News) revisited
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 00:36:12
1 On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 19:26:18 -0400
2 Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Stephen Bennett wrote:
5 > > * Portage must provide a way for external programs to obtain a list
6 > > of all repository identifiers for a given system. It is assumed
7 > > that this will be in the form of a ``portageq`` command (e.g.
8 > > ``portageq get_repo_ids``).
11 > not done, and if we implemented it, would be a hack (although
12 > compromisable in this scheme, would be essentially a fake portageq
13 > command)
14
15 Incorrect, I've planned this as part of modular sync code (same
16 requirement).
17
18 > > * Portage must provide a way for external programs to obtain the
19 > > base path for a repository with a given ID. It is assumed that this
20 > > will be in the form of a ``portageq`` command (e.g. ``portageq
21 > > get_repo_root gentoo-x86``).
22 >
23 > same as above
24
25 see above
26
27 > > * Portage must extend ``portageq has_version`` to support
28 > > restrictions to a given repository ID.
29 >
30 > and again
31
32 This is the tricky one. Needs vdb adjustments (or some really ugly
33 hacks).
34
35 > > * Portage must extend ``portageq`` to implement a command which
36 > > returns whether or not the profile used for a given repository ID
37 > > is exactly the given profile (e.g. ``portageq profile_used
38 > > default-linux/sparc/sparc64/2004.3 gentoo-x86``).
39 >
40 > and again
41
42 This is almost trivial.
43
44 > I have no problem with basically writing up 'fake' portageq calls.
45 > However often people tell me overlays are important, they don't serve
46 > as multipile repos and don't have metadata/news, so they are excluded
47 > in this specification (intentially?). Portage doesn't do multiple
48 > repo's so any repo-related call will be a 'fake' one, that just
49 > returns the expected data, unless someone has a better method (looks
50 > at other portage devs).
51
52 As stated above the modular sync code I've planned for 2.2 has similar
53 requirements to this as it includes support for syncing overlays.
54
55 Marius
56
57 PS: Please in the future only quote relevant parts.
62 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
63 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.