From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] On the use of bash-completion use flag
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 10:39:49
1 >>>>> On Fri, 24 Jun 2011, Micha³ Górny wrote:
2
3 > There's no reason that a dozen of packages PDEPENDs on
4 > bash-completion. If one decides not to use bash-completion any
5 > longer, I don't see a reason to rebuild all those packages just to
6 > get rid of one PDEPEND (and a single file).
7
8 The question is where to draw the line:
9
10 "There's no reason that a dozen of packages RDEPENDs on emacs. If one
11 decides not to use emacs any longer, I don't see a reason to rebuild
12 all those packages just to get rid of one RDEPEND (and a single
13 file)."
14
15 Same argument. ;) Should packages install their emacs support files
16 (it's only one or two small files in most cases) unconditionally?
17
18 But seriously: I believe that most people would agree that logrotate
19 config files should be installed unconditionally, whereas in the case
20 of emacs they would disagree. bash-completion is somewhere inbetween.
21
22 Ulrich