From: Alexander Gretencord <arutha@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo 1.1a Feedback
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 04:02:43
1 On Saturday 18 May 2002 08:05, andrew fabbro wrote:
2
3 > - Some of the dependencies are strange. Why do I need gpm for vim? I've
4 > used vim for many years without gpm and this server doesn't even have a
5 > mouse ;)
6
7 Because you have gpm in your USE var (The defaults have it) Just read the
8 documentation about the USE var.
9
10 > Why do I need the blackdown JDK for postgres? That one I find
11 > really inexplicable.
12
13 Because you have java in your USE var and there is more than one java package.
14 So if you don't already have one installed it tries to install a default sdk
15 (which seems to be blackdown)
16
17 > - I will say that I also disagree someone with YASSP - Yet Another Startup
18 > Script Paradigm. Going SysV instead of Berkeley is definitely the right
19 > way to go for a zillion reasons. But what was wrong with rc1.d, etc.? I
20 > don't see the need for the change.
21
22 Yeah the depenedencies and all are ok _but_ I'd also like to have my old rc*.d
23 back. But with rc*.d you'd not have the dependency thing you have now as the
24 numbers would control startup (which I think is better).
25
26 > - you might want to add a note in the docs that you need to eject the CD
27 > before the final reboot.
28
29 Oh isn't that obvious ? Gentoo is aimed at people that do have brains.
30
31 > - what's with the .keep in all these dirs?
32
33 Try to install an ebuild into some new dir, if you remove the ebuild and the
34 dir is empty, it's removed. With that .keep file it will stay.
35
36 > - is there a cdrecord package? I can't find one.
37
38 cdrecord changed its name into cdrtools, not gentoo's fault :)
41 Alex
44 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
45 deserve neither liberty nor safety."
46 Benjamin Franklin