From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: musicbrainz useflag, and a couple others
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 16:18:54
1 Bruno Roggeri <bruno.roggeri@××××.fr> posted
2 200702211421.34157.bruno.roggeri@××××.fr, excerpted below, on Wed, 21 Feb
3 2007 14:21:23 +0100:
4
5 > I filed bug 165561 [1] to ask for the musicbrainz useflag to be made
6 > global, and in reply I was asked to have it discussed here, so here it
7 > goes. According to use.local.desc, the useflag is used in 4 different
8 > ebuilds for the same purpose :
9 > app-cdr/k3b, media-sound/amarok, media-sound/prokyon3 and
10 > media-sound/rhythmbox.
11
12 As a user and reader of this group, the rule of thumb has always seemed to
13 be five packages minimum for consideration as a global USE flag. The
14 examples you gave all seemed to be four packages per flag, which would
15 explain why they haven't been made global yet.
16
17 However, I've not seen any specific reason given that it /has/ to be
18 specifically /5/ packages. Personally as a user, I don't see anything wrong
19 with going global at 4, except that it's a change and would therefore need
20 discussed and some sort of semblance of agreement arrived at. (Personally,
21 I'd put it at 3, but can see why some might object to that... at 3, it's
22 arguably too easy for one of the three packages to be tree-cleaned,
23 ultimately leaving a rather cluttered use.global.)
28 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list