From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Changing order of default virtual/udev provider
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 04:09:47
1 Michał Górny posted on Tue, 16 Feb 2016 23:16:41 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 20:57:31 +0100 Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
4 > wrote:
5 >
6 >> On 02/16/2016 08:33 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
7 >> > This all is going into some bickering nonsense and noise made by
8 >> > systemd haters just to feed their troll, FUD and whatever else they
9 >> > made around here.
10 >> You call it hate, I call it having a choice.
11 >
12 > You have a choice. This is trying to force your choice on everyone else
13 > just because you hate the other option and don't want anybody to be
14 > using it.
15
16 Who's forcing who's choice? It's a virtual default, where virtuals are
17 /designed/ to allow choice.
18
19 And as a systemd user myself, the only one I see trying to force a
20 particular choice is systemd and its devs, which as they've made very
21 clear, would prefer to be the only possibility on Linux, no choice
22 available but to switch to some other non-Linux (or at least non-Gnu/
23 Linux) platform.
24
25 Meanwhile, systemd users already don't have a choice and thus aren't
26 affected by the virtual default except at installation, and switching
27 from udev or eudev to systemd, six of one, a half dozen of the other.
28
29 So what's the problem if non-systemd users decide to set a designed-to-be-
30 stand-alone package as the default device-manager, instead of an
31 explicitly intended to be systemd-only package as a device-manager, using
32 it apart from systemd in a way not intended and actively discouraged by
33 its developers. For non-systemd users, that would seem to be only
34 logical, and systemd users have had that choice taken from them by
35 systemd and thus don't have a choice to make, so what's the problem?
36
37 Again, that's as a systemd user myself. You can't, at least not
38 correctly, claim systemd hate here. I'm simply a realist, using what
39 seems to me to be the best tool for the job, which happens to be systemd
40 currently, but I would sure like to keep the choice around as insurance
41 against a dramatic turn for the worse, as unfortunately, I've seen happen
42 too many times in my computer experience, Linux and otherwise. (No need
43 to enumerate details here.)
48 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman