From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal to move use.local.desc somewhere in /var
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 17:31:53
1 On Tuesday 24 April 2012 12:45:22 Paul Varner wrote:
2 > On 04/24/12 11:21, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
3 > > On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 04:11:44PM +0200, Theo Chatzimichos wrote:
4 > >> log from #gentoo-portage: <tampakrap> zmedico: (random idea) would
5 > >> it make sence to generate local.use.desc in /var/cache, or
6 > >> somewhere in /var, but out of the tree?
7 > >
8 > > Why are we keeping it? I move that we remove it. It's been replaced
9 > > by USE flags in metadata.xml for several years now.
10 >
11 > euse from gentoolkit still uses it since it is written in bash and XML
12 > parsing in bash can be problematic. We really need to get euse
13 > rewritten in python so it can use the portage and gentoolkit API's
14 > before we get rid of the file.
15 >
16 > Additionally, if we move the file, euse will need to be updated as well
17 > and get pushed out to a stable version of gentoolikit.
18 >
19 > The euse rewrite is on the roadmap for gentoolkit-0.3.1 which doesn't
20 > have a release date yet since the primary contributors have been busy
21 > with other things.
22
23 it's also a bit of a speed issue. i often want to look at what flags get used
24 across the tree. what's faster: loading + parsing 15000 xml files, or loading
25 1 file ? shifting it to metadata/ as a cache of all the xml files is probably
26 fine, but i'm not sure dropping it completely is an improvement.
27 -mike