From: Benda Xu <heroxbd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: moving OpenRC to a meson-based build
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2017 09:11:46
1 William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> writes:
2
3 > I have been looking at the meson build system [1] [2], and I like what I
4 > see.
5 >
6 > I have opened an issue on OpenRC's github wrt migrating OpenRC to the
7 > meson build system [3].
8 >
9 > As I said on the bug, the downside is the addition of py3 and ninja as
10 > build time dependencies, but I think the upside (a build system where
11 > we don't have to worry about parallel make issues or portability)
12 > outweighs that.
13 >
14 > What do folks think here?
15
16 I would discourage it. Making OpenRC build-depend on python introduces
17 unnecessary complexity that will undermine the portability of OpenRC
18 sooner or later.
19
20 After all OpenRC is a small program easy to build with a hand-written
21 Makefile.
22
23 Parallel make issues? No problem let's just solve it.
26 Please, keep it simple.
27
28 Benda