From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] xorg-server 1.0.99/1.1 ABI break
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 20:38:27
1 Olivier CrĂȘte wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2006-17-04 at 13:05 -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 >> Alec Warner wrote:
4 >>> Well the semantics of the blocker is that the new driver won't work with
5 >>> the old server; is that true? Or just the old drivers won't work with
6 >>> the new server?
7 >> New server requires new drivers. Old server requires old drivers. There
8 >> is no valid combination of new and old.
9 >
10 > Then you should probably has new drivers block old servers and new
11 > servers block old drivers...
12
13 OK, let's think about the results of this.
14
15 New drivers block old servers:
16 Rather, why wouldn't new drivers depend on a new server? This makes
17 sense and is already what we're doing.
18
19 New servers block old drivers:
20 This will require people to uninstall all their drivers to upgrade
21 their server. It will not automatically reinstall them in the 'emerge -u
22 xorg-server' case, but it _should_ reinstall them in the 'emerge -u
23 world' case _if_ they're using the xorg-x11 metabuild.
24
25 I'm not sure whether portage does a --deep by default now, but I think
26 that's what is necessary for correct behavior in the 'emerge -u world' case.
27
28 Thanks,
29 Donnie
30 --