From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News item: Multiple root kernel command-line arguments
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2020 23:08:04
1 On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 4:19 PM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Thu, 2020-08-06 at 23:03 +0300, Joonas Niilola wrote:
4 > > On 8/6/20 10:58 PM, Thomas Deutschmann wrote:
5 > > > Well, the purpose of this is to educate and avoid problems for
6 > > > headless/server users. But if so many devs seem to care about pushing
7 > > > maybe unrelated information and believe that avoiding that has much more
8 > > > value than avoid a problem like an unbootable system for just a few
9 > > > people (and for headless/servers this is a major problem in case you
10 > > > cannot trigger remote reboot)... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
11 > > >
12 > > Yeah let's break some setups and make people change distributions instead.
13 > >
14 > > I'd support showing it. Weren't we all taught that too much
15 > > communication is better than no communication?
18 > That's actually bullshit. Too much noise leads to people stopping to
19 > read stuff, and losing important info as a result. Compare: our mailing
20 > lists.
21
22 Well, we could solve that problem and the Foundation funding
23 challenges by switching the mailing list to a paid-superchat system.
24
25 The only thing that might bother some would be having to give me a
26 slot on the sponsor's page, but then again I would be paying your
27 salary at that point. :)
28
29 More seriously, I think the simplest compromise is to just display the
30 news item to those with the relevant genkernel versions installed.
31 While the general principle of using UUIDs and such in boot lines is
32 important, this is better placed in the handbook, wiki, and so on.
33 The news should focus on what is actually changing, IMO.
36 Rich