From: Dylan Carlson <absinthe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] JDBC updates
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 13:35:02
1 Greetings,
2
3 Several JDBC updates went through today.
4
5 * Updated Oracle, 9.2.0.4 and 9.2.0.5 for JDBC2 and JDBC3, slotted
6 * Added packages for Firebird JDBC2 (1.3) and JDBC3 (1.4) drivers
7 dev-java/jdbc2-firebird
8 dev-java/jdbc3-firebird
9 * Updated dev-java/jdbc2-postgresql with drivers for 7.4.
10 * Updated dev-java/jdbc-mysql with version 3.0.15.
11 * Updated dev-java/jdbc-mssqlserver with SP3
12 * Updated dev-java/jdbc-informix
13 * Fixed dev-java/jdbc-stdext to install API docs.
14
15 All updates are ~arch for testing.
16
17 Oracle 10 coming soon... I don't have an Oracle 10 db to test against, so
18 this would be an act of faith. If you are running 10, help me work on an
19 ebuild please.
20
21 Also, if there are drivers that you need that are not represented in the
22 tree (for DB2 or whatever), let me know... or better yet, submit ebuilds.
23 If there isn't any legal restriction (beyond nomirror/nofetch), it will
24 get added to the tree promptly.
25
26 Also, all JDBC packages are from upstream binaries. There is some desire
27 to build what we can-- say, Postgresql's driver-- from source. While I'm
28 not opposed to this, I think I prefer all JDBC drivers as binary ebuilds
29 because Oracle, Informix, SQL Server, etc are going to be binary
30 regardless. It's just easier if they're taken from upstream binaries, as
31 there's no advantage that I can see to building from source in this
32 circumstance (except to live by the Gentoo-ish principle of always
33 building from source when possible).
34
35 Comments welcome.
36