From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Proposal for how to handle stable ebuilds
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 17:55:06
1 On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 17:26 +0000, Duncan wrote:
2 > Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> posted
3 > 20081111172450.04e02b38@××××××××××××××××.net, excerpted below, on Tue, 11
4 > Nov 2008 17:24:50 +0100:
5 >
6 > > Words
7 > > like "production", "critical" and "important" can be applied as easily
8 > > to the state of a company's or nation's system as to a single person's.
9 >
10 > Yes, but it's a relative thing. They obviously do what they can with the
11 > resources they have (are willing to dedicate). We do the same. A user's
12 > single system will absolutely be important to him, no doubt about it, but
13 > if he doesn't believe it worth "superhuman" feats or prioritizing to
14 > ensure it's safety, neither should we.
15
16 I think I understand what you mean here, but it's not what you wrote as
17 best as I can tell. As a developer, I believe it is my responsibility
18 to work a bit harder just so that the users don't have to resort to
19 '"superhuman" feats' to keep their systems running. I do agree that no
20 matter what we provide, all users (including ourselves) will have to
21 expend some effort to take advantage of it.
22
23 > No, we don't go around
24 > purposefully breaking things, but both he and we have limits to our
25 > resources and certain priorities in their allocation, and if he's not
26 > placing undue priority on the safety of his machine, why is it even a
27 > question if we will? The presumption should be actions within the bounds
28 > of rational reality and prioritization of resources for both users and
29 > their distribution, us. No more, no less.
30 >
31 > IOW, I'd have agreed if the point was that it's a machine that's useful
32 > to the user and that he doesn't want broken, and we should behave
33 > accordingly, but the triple emphasis of important, production, critical,
34 > seemed a bit undue for the lengths to which an ordinary user goes or the
35 > priority he reveals by his own actions. And if his actions reveal a
36 > SERIOUS priority in the area, than he's already covered by definition.
37 > That's all I was saying.
38
39 Regards,
40 Ferris
43 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
44 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Userrel, Trustees)