From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 16:49:04
1 On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 09:42 -0600, Lance Albertson wrote:
2 > Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 >
4 > > Really, I don't have any vision for Gentoo and I like it that way.
5 >
6 > Amazing words to come from Gentoo's release manager. We might as well
7 > call our releases 'maintenance updates' then if thats the case.
8
9 Why not? Does it really matter? They *are* maintenance updates. That
10 still doesn't change the fact that it is a "release" of some sort. Our
11 release media are simply better versions of past media. They offer more
12 hardware support and hopefully fewer bugs, but there isn't exactly a
13 whole lot else going on with them.
14
15 Even the new Installer LiveCD images that we are moving towards is
16 nothing more than a slow evolution from our current InstallCD/PackageCD
17 setup. It is a natural progression more than a huge leap. Sure, it
18 makes things much easier on new users, but it isn't exactly
19 revolutionary.
20
21 I also am not so presumptuous to say that what I do within Release
22 Engineering specifically impacts on what you guys do in infra on a day
23 to day basis, or what the portage team does, or what hardened does. We
24 all have our own directions. When our paths overlap, we cooperate.
25 When they do not, we stay the hell out of each other's hair.
28 Chris Gianelloni
29 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
30 x86 Architecture Team
31 Games - Developer