From: Torsten Veller <tove@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Drop the Perl Modules Guideline?
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 12:11:48
1 Let's discuss the "specific guideline" for Perl modules. It's as follows:
2
3 ,- http://devrel.gentoo.org/handbook/handbook.xml?part=2&chap=1#doc_chap2_sect2
4 | Perl
5 |
6 | New Perl modules are to be added to portage only when one of the following
7 | conditions is met:
8 |
9 | a) The module(s) fulfill a dependency
10 | b) The module(s) cannot be handled by g-cpan
11 | c) The module(s) add functionality to existing ebuilds
12 | d) The module(s) provide tools, applications or other features (i.e. more
13 | than what their .PM offers)
14 |
15 | Please make sure that at least one member of the perl herders approves
16 | your addition.
17 `-
18
19 Recently the proxy-maintainer project is repeatedly adding packages
20 which aren't following these guideline AFAIK. So maybe we should change
21 it.
22
23 444974 a) dev-perl/Text-Format - Various subroutines to format text 2012-12-07
24 444976 a) dev-perl/Roman - Perl module for conversion between Roman and Arabic numerals. 2012-12-03
25 446710 ?) dev-perl/FLV-AudioExtractor - Extract audio from Flash Videos 2012-12-12
26 447724 ?) dev-perl/Email-Send-Gmail - Send Messages using Gmail Mon 10:12
27
28 Ad a): This requirement is a little problematic:
29 Sometimes perl modules are needed for maintainer-wanted packages.
30 Sometimes the perl modules are added to the tree while the
31 maintainer-wanted package never are or will be. Sometimes the maintainer
32 are waiting for the perl team to do their work.
33
34 Ad b): (Judging from bugreports) g-cpan doesn't seem to be really
35 reliable these days. I always wanted to test/verify it. But ... (random
36 excuse: time, motivation,...)
37
38 I guess I don't have no problem with modifying or dropping the
39 requirements. The perl overlay contains hundreds of packages which
40 should be added to the main tree.
41
42 The dev-perl category currently already contains the most packages
43 (1140 per packages.g.o).
46 Best regards
47 Torsten