From: Daniel Ostrow <dostrow@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Democracy: No silver bullet
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 02:26:47
1 <snip a bunch>
2
3 > If I could go back in time a couple of years and prevent this democracy
4 > from ever happening, I would. If I could fix these problems myself, I
5 > would. But it requires buy-in from the entire Gentoo community if we're
6 > to do anything about it.
7
8 </snip a bunch>
9
10 First of suffice it to say that many a time in the past (and that is sad
11 to say as I have only been a dev for just over two years) I have been
12 privy to whispered murmurs that happen in back rooms behind closed
13 doors. These whispers have always come about when one of the
14 aforementioned log threads have come about and the penultimate
15 conclusion of every one is that the problem that Gentoo presently faces
16 is in fact too much freedom.
17
18 Part of me wants to believe that you are right in that the only way to
19 get back to a place where there is true vision and power behind the
20 Gentoo name is to get community buy in and part of me wants to hunker
21 down and accept the likely reality that the only way to get back to a
22 point of health is to start laying the "smack down". Now I don't mean to
23 say that there is any negative connotation to that process...just that
24 those that are elected to be in charge are inherently trusted to do
25 their best for the future of Gentoo and that implicit in that trust is
26 an understanding that they may have to take dirty and potentially
27 unpopular roads to maintain that health. Bitching and complaining be
28 damned; part of what paralyzes us is an acquiescence to that vocal
29 minority. None of us want to deal with hearing the outcry so no-one does
30 what is needed. Basically I'm saying that while some level of acceptance
31 has to come from the community as a whole and some level of it has to
32 come from the top down whatever the outcome.
33
34 The Council has to be willing to be the body whose job is to maintain
35 the long lasting heath and happiness of the developer community, that
36 community is what Gentoo is.
37
38 In addition to the conclusion that too much freedom has entered the
39 life-blood that drives Gentoo it is also often the case that from the
40 stance of upper management there is not enough freedom given. Part of
41 what paralyzes the Council and devrel and any other historical body that
42 has tried to keep Gentoo healthy is that there is an understanding that
43 they can only act as a whole...as individuals none of them have power as
44 there is fear that a rouge person in a position to abuse their
45 responsibility will do so. It is my contention that with a body of
46 multiple individuals such as the Council that there would be the ability
47 to recognize and mitigate the damage done by such a rogue. I'd posit
48 that by voting someone onto the council you are saying that you trust
49 them enough to carry this duty on their shoulders. The Council itself
50 should not be just a technical body to validate the merits of GLERs
51 and/or emerging projects, it (or some other yet to be established group)
52 has to carry the solemn duty of carrying Gentoo into the future,
53 nurturing it as only a parent could.
54
55 I'd also wager that allowing those who have been trusted to be in power
56 to act a little on their own would provide the capability for that group
57 to react more quickly, there wouldn't need to be emergency meetings, you
58 wouldn't need to push off decisions for a full month and in general as
59 there would be more activity there would also be more transparency as
60 the actions of the group would be visible.
61
62 All in all I suppose that is the platform that I am running on for this
63 years Council...take it for what you will but that is where I stand.
64
65 Thanks,
66
67 --Dan