From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo on Discord
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 17:53:04
1 On 19-04-30 13:43:31, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 1:22 PM Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > It matters if things are perceived as official Gentoo and causing a
5 > > negative reputation as in the article in this thread. One some level
6 > > that actually goes to trademark infringement that should be of interest
7 > > to the foundation, but the issue is broader than that.
10 > While I don't speak for the Foundation, they already have a fairly
11 > decent policy addressing this:
12 > https://www.gentoo.org/inside-gentoo/foundation/name-logo-guidelines.html
13 >
14 > I believe this really only applies to use outside of Gentoo, and not
15 > internal use. Whether a service like a Discord site falls under
16 > internal use probably depends on the degree to which they are
17 > completely subject to Council/Trustees/etc, and the social contract
18 > and code of conduct as enacted by those bodies.
19 >
20 > For non-internal use the name/logo guidelines already have
21 > requirements around reputation and code of conduct. You can't just
22 > call yourself "Gentoo" and do whatever you want (not that I'm implying
23 > that this is what any particular site is doing - I haven't even seen
24 > the discord).
27 From what I remember the last time this came up we gave them the choice
28 of not using the name/logo in an official sense and using them with the
29 guidelines (CoC, etc). iirc, they chose to follow the CoC.
32 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)