From: Sergei Trofimovich <slyfox@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: ryao@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Evaluating a new malloc()
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 20:26:49
1 On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 08:33:44 -0500
2 Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > The Blender project found some fairly remarkable discrepancies between
5 > what their software actually used and what glibc's ptmalloc allocated:
6 >
7 > http://www.sintel.org/development/memory-jemalloc/
8 >
9 > Results such as these led Blender and others (e.g. Chrome/Chromium,
10 > Firefox, Thunderbird) to bundle private versions of jemalloc.
11
12 Thre real disease is Windows support for all the mentioned apps.
13 glibc is not that bad.
14
15 I suspect
16 export MALLOC_CHECK_=0
17 and
18 CFLAGS=-fno-stack-protector
19 would solve all those bookkeeping "issues" glibc dumps on you
20 by default.
21
22 malloc() (likely free()) performance dependency for an app
23 means writing custom allocators. IMHO it's a per-app problem,
24 not system-wide one.
25
26 Do you have degradation example for your use cases? (a sample
27 program for real workload) Fixing known deficiencies is always
28 simpler than switching known-to-work base.
29
30 > This bundling situation violates our policy against bundled libraries. The
31 > maintainers could just patch their software to link to libjemalloc.
32 > However, it might make more sense to evaluate jemalloc as a
33 > distribution-wide replacement for glibc's ptmalloc.
34
35 It would not solve bundling problem, would it?
36
37 > Unless a significant issue is found in jemalloc itself, I do not see any
38 > reason to continue using glibc's ptmalloc over jemalloc.
39
40 How about "that core piece of libc works fine"?
44 Sergei