From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Prevent binary/non-compiled packages from binary package creation
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2017 15:33:40
1 On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 11:07:04 +1000
2 "Sam Jorna (wraeth)" <wraeth@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > > What then is the benefit? If what is installed is the same from
5 > > package manager or binpkg. Also your redistributing another's
6 > > package in binary format which may not be legally allowed.
7 >
8 > The difference is that how the package manager/ebuild installs the
9 > package may be better suited to the environment than what upstream
10 > expects (such as upstreams that install through a .run file)
11
12 I fail to see how basically skipping src_install and maybe some prepare
13 stuff that makes it better suited to an environment.
14 Can you explain that further?
15
16 These packages are just exploded tarballs. I fail to see the benefit
17 to repacking those into another tarball to be exploded. At best
18 skipping src_install and/or prepare, seems to be the only difference.
19
20 I see no difference in installing kernel sources via source ebuild or a
21 binpkg, pre-built ebuild binary. Other than the time it takes to
22 re-package the kernel sources into another tarball.
26 William L. Thomson Jr.