From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] baselayout-1.13 going into ~ARCH soon
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 00:18:08
1 On 11/8/06, Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Monday 06 November 2006 16:53, Roy Marples wrote:
3 > > However, one issue is a concern. All baselayouts defined svcdir
4 > > in /etc/conf.d/rc which defines where we hold the state information of the
5 > > running services. This defaulted to /var/lib/init.d - which is bad as /var
6 > > could be on a different partition.
7 > >
8 > > In 1.13, we've removed the variable from /etc/conf.d/rc and it's now forced
9 > > to /lib/rcscripts/init.d which is safe as /lib is always on the same
10 > > partition as /. The 1.13 ebuild will copy across existing state data, this
11 > > is not the problem. However, downgrading back to 1.12 is a problem as
12 > > services may have been stop, started etc in the middle.
13 > >
14 > > One solution is to ensure that we only hold one copy of the state data and
15 > > move it to the new location. However, this does require altering the stable
16 > > ebuild as well.
17 >
18 > This is still an issue.
19 >
20 > What do people think - hack the 1.12 ebuilds and try and get an
21 > upgrade/downgrade path or just slap a large warning on the ebuild?
22
23 How about as part of the upgrade, create a symlink from
24 /var/lib/init.d to /lib/rcscripts/init.d?
25
26 -Richard
27 --
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list