From: Philippe Namias <pn@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Reiser-fs patch
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 09:35:49
1 Hi,
2
3 As i look that you want to stay with the latest-fix on reiser-fs. I send you the
4 e-mail i got on the linux-kernel mailing-list. So you can incorporate the patch in
5 your own kernel or wait for next 2.4.3-preX
6
7 As filesystem stuff are quiet critical (especially for me).
8
9 Philippe Namias
10
11 PS: please tell me if this kind of fix must be send on the mailing-list?
12
13 Thanks
14
15 ---------------------------------------
16 Hello !
17
18 The Reiserfs development team resubmits five revised Reiserfs patches
19 for the version after Linux 2.4.3-pre4. Their descriptions are:
20
21 1. "prealloc.diff" --a fix for possible preallocated blocks leakage
22 after a system crash
23
24 Reiserfs blocks preallocation for big files in the same manner as
25 ext2. The preallocation code changes both the bitmap and the free
26 blocks count in the superblock. It is possible after a crash to
27 have unattached disk blocks which do not belong to any file
28 (i.e. free space leak). Unlike ext2, reiserfs does not check for
29 consistency of a filesystem that was not cleanly unmounted. There
30 is no simple way to recover free space.
31
32 For a given transaction, the fix is to, at the transaction end,
33 discard the preallocations for those inodes which have one.
34
35 2. "objectid-sharing.diff" -- object id sharing problem fix
36
37 Fix for reiserfs/inode.c:reiserfs_iget () The fix makes sure that
38 the reiserfs_iget function really got the inode of the object for
39 which it is looking.
40
41 3. "namei.diff" -- improvements of reiserfs_add_entry() function
42
43 a. Error handling
44
45 There is a place in reiserfs_add_entry() code where fs corruption
46 (existence of hidden entries--objects temporarily used in
47 renaming), I/O errors, or several other occurrences, can produce an
48 error message which has no useful information.
49
50 We have had several bug reports about this vs-7032 message in the
51 older 3.5 version. Each time we were unable to reproduce it. We do
52 not understand the reason. This error handling fix will make such
53 bug reports much more informative for us if they should occur in
54 the newer version.
55
56 b. Unnecessary re-searching is avoided
57
58 In reiserfs_add_entry(), we don't need to scan a whole bit_string
59 for non-zero bits to be able to use a smallest generation counter
60 to avoid re-searching for the dir entry insertion point.
61
62 4. "messages.diff"
63 This adds missed error numbers to reiserfs error
64 messages
65
66 5. "objectid_map.diff"
67 It adds a better debugging message when the oid map is corrupted,
68 and (more importantly) fixes a macro in objectid.c to put parens
69 around the stuff passed in.
72 Thanks,
73 Alex.
74