From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI 2 is brokened :(
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 07:05:39
1 On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 3:34 PM, Ciaran McCreesh
2 <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 15:22:19 -0700
4 > Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >> So where exactly is this "sky is falling" issue you're worried
6 >> about? Bugs happen.
7 >
8 > It means anyone using EAPI 2 now is going to encounter severe
9 > breakages with Pkgcore. Simply put, all your Pkgcore users are going to
10 > get screwed over very messily as soon as they try to use any EAPI 2
11 > things. Is this not something we should be caring about?
12
13 I think everyone appreciates the forewarning (even if not everyone
14 appreciates the manner in which it was delivered). I think we do care
15 and we are fixing it. I believe the developers of said packages have
16 a different idea of the risks involved than you and I don't expect
17 everyone to agree on specific software development or release
18 processes.
21 >> Frankly you're overreacting on this- and that is assuming you *are*
22 >> overreacting instead of just going for a bit of a public smear
23 >> via bugs.
24 >
25 > Bah. If you want me to lecture you on how you're being blatantly
26 > irresponsible and incompetent then I will do, although by the way you
27 > rush on the defensive and start trying to cover your ass by throwing
28 > accusations at me it looks like you already know it. But what I care
29 > about is getting the mess fixed in the most painless way possible.
30 >
31 > This is a real issue and developers need to know the implications.
34 If you want to call people names do it on your own lists.
35
36 >> Either way, my vote is fix the bugs, leave EAPI2 as is, and in the
37 >> future kindly file bugs properly (preferably w/out the noise, but
38 >> I'll take usable bug reports in almost any form).
39 >
40 > If you want bug reports via trac instead of IRC, get your trac to
41 > respond faster.
42 >
43 > --
44 > Ciaran McCreesh