From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] apache2 default for 2006.0
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 00:16:08
1 On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 23:19 +0000, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > On Thu, 2005-11-24 at 09:16 -0500, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
5 > > I'd like to add the apache2 USE flag to 2006.0's profile. This would
6 > > not resolve bug #95140, but would keep users from hitting it by default.
7 > > With apache being such a popular package, having it fail from a default
8 > > stage3 installation reflects poorly on us all. If I haven't heard any
9 > > good objections by November 30th, I'll make the change. This will *not*
10 > > be retroactive to any previous release profiles.
11 >
12 > I must be missing something. How is adding the apache2 USE flag the
13 > right solution to this problem with users trying to install apache v1?
14
15 *sigh*
16
17 "This would not resolve bug #95140, but would keep users from hitting it
18 by default."
19
20 Did I ever even imply that this would resolve problems with users trying
21 to install apache v1? Di I ever say that this was a solution for them
22 in any way? Did I not also mention that this would *not* be
23 retroactive?
24
25 Here's the deal. We have a new user that installs Gentoo. After
26 installing Gentoo, he tries to "emerge nagios" and it dies on building
27 apache over a bug that has been known for some time and still isn't
28 resolved. How exactly does that make us look? How exactly does that
29 make Release Engineering look when a "default install" cannot even
30 install apache properly? APACHE!!! Whether we are responsible for
31 apache or not, we *are* responsible for the release. Having things
32 completely broken in the default install is *not* acceptable. The bug
33 was reported in June and while there has been some action in the bug, no
34 fix has been issued. Again, this is *not* acceptable. Now, because of
35 this, it is my determination that we have a serious problem that *will*
36 affect the 2006.0 release, and I am trying to do something proactive to
37 prevent it.
40 Chris Gianelloni
41 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
42 x86 Architecture Team