From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] general questions and thoughts on Gentoo
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 15:16:57
On Monday 28 January 2002 17:54, you wrote:
> Another thing I kind of miss from other package systems is the > ability to know *before* I download a package what files it will > install. The Mandrake, Debian, and FreeBSD ports collection provide > this information in various forms, which I've gotten used to, but > the /usr/portage hierarchy doesn't seem to store it anywhere.
As other people said, this can be dependant on your USE flags. However, as you may know, the emerge command can be split into several ebuild commands (see man ebuild). So you can ebuild compile install, look at /var/tmp/portage/<package>/image, and ebuild qmerge to complete the emerge. Hope that idea helps, -- Dan Armak Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team (KDE) Matan, Israel