From: Sergei Trofimovich <slyfox@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, prefix@g.o, hardened@g.o, arm@g.o, mips@g.o, ppc@g.o, ppc64@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Deprecation and removal of 13.0 profiles is imminent
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2019 22:52:21
1 On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 19:56:38 +0000
2 Sergei Trofimovich <slyfox@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, 12 Dec 2018 00:25:04 +0000
5 > Sergei Trofimovich <slyfox@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > Tl;DR: 13.0 profiles will be removed some time soon unless there are
8 > > enough reports broken on 13.0->17.0 switch.
9 > >
10 > > 13.0 profiles been a while in Gentoo tree and are already deprecated
11 > > on some arches but not everywhere.
12 > >
13 > > If you have problems using 17.0 profiles as a default please file a bug
14 > > and pile it against against the tracker bug (fresh one):
15 > > https://bugs.gentoo.org/672960
16 >
17 > I filed a bunch of bugs to deprecate existing profile that rely on
18 > 'releases/13.0' profile snippet.
19 >
20 > To deprecate a profile just drop a 'deprecated' file to profile dir
21 > that targets to target for users to switch to. Example:
22 > https://bugs.gentoo.org/672960#c2
23 > Note: package.desc still remains
24 >
25 > At removal time we will delete both deprecated profiles and package.desc entries.
26
27 A few months passed and we almost finished with a long tail.
28
29 To-be-deprecated profiles yet are:
30 https://bugs.gentoo.org/673278
31 prefix/linux-standalone/ppc64
32
33 +prefix@, what is our plan here? Can we drop at least empty
34 'deprecated' file to notify users?
35
36 https://bugs.gentoo.org/673276
37 hardened/linux/arm/armv6j
38 hardened/linux/arm/armv7a
39
40 hardened/linux/mips/mipsel/multilib/n32
41 hardened/linux/mips/mipsel/multilib/n64
42 hardened/linux/mips/mipsel/n32
43 hardened/linux/mips/mipsel/n64
44 hardened/linux/mips/multilib/n32
45 hardened/linux/mips/multilib/n64
46 hardened/linux/mips/n32
47 hardened/linux/mips/n64
48
49 hardened/linux/powerpc/ppc32
50 hardened/linux/powerpc/ppc64/32bit-userland
51 hardened/linux/powerpc/ppc64/64bit-userland
52
53 +hardened@ (and +arm@, +mips@, +ppc@, +ppc64) ,
54 is it fine to redirect these to vanilla 17.0 profiles?
58 Sergei