From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] overlay support current proposal?
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 14:24:28
1 On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 09:51 +0100, Chris Bainbridge wrote:
2 > On 27/03/06, Ryan Phillips <rphillips@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o> said:
4 > > > Have you followed the threads in the past regarding using other
5 > > > version control systems for portage? Some devs have done benchmarks
6 > > > and found that there are blocking issues with subversion, particularly
7 > > > because of its repo-wide revisions that prevent multiple commits from
8 > > > happening simultaneously.
9 > >
10 > > In actuality, Subversion does 98% of the commit in an initial
11 > > transaction, and the blocking only occurs in the last 2% with the FSFS
12 > > filesystem. It really isn't an issue and shouldn't prevent us from
13 > > adopting it.
14 >
15 > All svn commits are atomic, and that requires some kind of global
16 > lock. I'd say the (slight) performance penalty is worth it for that
17 > feature alone. I'd also point out that the KDE project have everything
18 > in a single svn repository and can manage >10,000 commits per month
19 > with no problems. There are various testimonials around from people
20 > claiming to be running svn on multiple GB repositories with >17,000
21 > commits a month.
22
23 Well, CIA seems to differ from your stats.
24
25 Gentoo: 8495 last month http://cia.navi.cx/stats/project/gentoo
26 KDE: 7523 last month http://cia.navi.cx/stats/project/KDE
27
28 Now, according to the stats, I would say that we have a similar commit
29 rate as KDE, though not all of ours are on the same repository and some
30 are on CVS and some are on SVN, so the stats aren't 100% accurate for
31 getting just the main portage tree.
34 Chris Gianelloni
35 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
36 x86 Architecture Team