From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: Gentoo arm AT <arm@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] net-dns/dnssec-root: Blind stable on arm, critical bug 667774
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 02:12:51
1 On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 4:38 PM Sergei Trofimovich <slyfox@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 17:10:10 +0200
4 > Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o> wrote:
5 >
6 > > Let me quote https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/?id=f6f6bb91b7f134a121ef9fa1dd504b9ca52c5aa8:
7 > >
8 > > > net-dns/dnssec-root: Blind stable on arm, critical bug 667774
9 > > >
10 > > > Note that this is a major fail for a stable architecture.
11 > > > In addition, all arm devboxes are currently offline.
12 > > >
13 > > > Bug: https://bugs.gentoo.org/667774
14 > > > Signed-off-by: Andreas K. Hüttel <dilfridge@g.o>
15 > > > Package-Manager: Portage-2.3.49, Repoman-2.3.11
16 > >
17 > > ...and now let's all sit down and enjoy how stable ARM users lose access
18 > > to the Internet and have to figure out how to deactivate DNSSEC to get
19 > > back online. ;]
20 > >
21 > > Maybe it is time to destabilize ARM on Gentoo to stop the impression
22 > > that we really support ARM.
23 >
24 > [ CC: arm@ ]
25 >
26 > A few points to think about:
27 >
28 > 1. I have read this as a direct statement that ARM is not maintained.
29 > I don't think it is a fair (or constructive) assessment of team's work
30 > on ARM front.
31
32 It's maintained, but in my experience it's often the last architecture
33 to handle a bug. Often by a wide margin.
34
35 Take a look at the shapes these graphs:
36 https://www.akhuettel.de/gentoo-bugs/arches.php
37
38 maekke and zlogene do a lot of arm stabilizations, but I'm sure it's
39 too much work for two people alone, especially if all the arm devboxes
40 are offline (WTF?).