From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New virtuals for libudev and libgudev
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 12:31:28
1 On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 4:34 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > I have already suggested separate category for perl virtuals but been
3 > quieted down at the time. I doubt people really want another category
4 > for virtuals since some of their poor tools rely on 'virtual/'.
5
6 So, first the obvious - the "poor tools" are, well, poor. If we need
7 a way of distinguishing virtual packages it might make sense to add a
8 tag to metadata.xml or such, if not to the ebuilds themselves.
9 Distinguishing by category/name seems like a really bad idea.
10
11 But, second, if people really want to have tools that treat virtuals
12 in a special way, then it seems likely to me that they'd want to be
13 able to distinguish between "traditional" virtuals and these new
14 SONAME-driven virtuals. Of course, I'd still advocate doing it with a
15 different tag in metadata.xml/etc and not by doing it with the
16 category when it is a script doing the interpretation. For us mere
17 mortals, having multiple virtual categories might be useful. I can
18 see the argument about perl (though I wouldn't have minded a
19 virtual-perl category), but this is a bit different in that this isn't
20 just another group of packages being virtualized, but a fairly
21 different use of virtual packages entirely.
22
23 Otherwise, thanks for pointing out the use of subslots in the udev/etc
24 packages themselves.
25
26 Rich