From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Becoming a Gentoo developer?
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 12:27:13
1 On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 13:14:49 +0200 hasufell wrote:
2 > On 04/17/2015 01:00 PM, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
3 > > On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 12:33:06 +0200 Alexander Berntsen wrote:
5 > >> Hash: SHA256
6 > >>
7 > >> On 15/04/15 15:02, Peter Stuge wrote:
8 > >>> the threshold to become a developer with write access to the
9 > >>> gentoo repo is very high
10 > >> LOL. No. It's way too low, given our review-less workflow in which any
11 > >> dev can do essentially whatever they want.
12 > >
13 > > The only net results from strict review workflow (when each commit
14 > > of each dev must be reviewed and approved by at least N devs) are
15 > > tons of bikeshedding, real quality improvement is marginal, because
16 > > people are working in different areas anyway. And if you will
17 > > consider, that strict review will require N more times effort and
18 > > spent time, actual quality of the tree will drop almost N times,
19 > > because number of man hours spent on Gentoo is approximately
20 > > constant with the same number of devs.
21 >
22 > If you have followed the recent discussions about gentoos organizational
23 > structure, review workflow and overlay situation you would know that
24 > there is a pretty simple solution for this problem.
25
26 I have followed them and I have seen no solution usable in real
27 world.
28
29 > Review workflow will not be random/global. Some gentoo projects already
30 > have strict review workflow. You just have to map this properly to the
31 > tree. If you do that improperly, then ofc it will be crap.
32
33 Please point to exact projects and exact descriptions of workflow
34 processes. As for now I see none globally usable.
35
36 Best regards,
37 Andrew Savchenko