From: Thomas Anderson <gentoofan23@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: Council meeting summary for meeting on June 11, 2009
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 12:04:29
1 On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 11:34:48AM +0100, Steven J Long wrote:
2 > Thomas Anderson wrote:
3 >
4 > > Steven J Long wrote:
5 > >> Denis Dupeyron wrote:
6 > >>
7 > >> > This list is for technical discussions only.
8 > >> I look forward to the day when that actually happens, and we are not
9 > >> regaled with countless emails about "technical issues" that were solved 3
10 > >> years ago, accompanied by juvenile insults at anyone who might disagree.
11 > >>
12 > >
13 > > Speaking of juvenile insults, your last mails concerning my summary have
14 > > had their fair share of insults towards me(all unfounded and ridiculous).
15 > > Would you please stop that?
16 > >
17 > I still can't see any insults; I was actually doing my best to give you the
18 > benefit of the doubt. Clearly you are fairly immature, based on my
19 > interaction with you over the last 3 years, and you did indeed take part in
20 > a concerted political action, which was not at all what it was claimed to
21 > be.
22
23 There were no political actions ocurring, I was doing my job. As for insults, I
24 was referring to:
25
26 "This is inaccurate, and to be frank, a lie."
27
28 "And sorry, tanderson, but consider my words of support for your campaign
29 rescinded after the concerted nature of your part in the politicking." <--- Not
30 exactly an insult but sort of close considering it's not true; call it libel.
31
32 "You clearly have a year or two more of growing-up to do, minimum, AFAIC."
33
34 "Nice summaries though." Not exactly an insult though it was probably sarcastic.
35
36 And of course the insult in the last mail you sent: "Clearly you are fairly
37 immature" and ignoring the libel about political actions(which is both
38 unsubstantiated and untrue).
39
40 And other in general attitude problems against me.
41 > >> > Also, public mailing-lists
42 > >> > are not for discussing your personal issues.
43 > >> >
44 > >> It wasn't my personal issue; it was about an inaccurate summary and a
45 > >> Council member blatantly lying and using his position for partisan aims.
46 > >
47 > > The summary was not innacurate; If someone is banned, I put down the
48 > > reason given _at the time_ for the banning. That seems fairly
49 > > straightforward. There is nothing biased(or anything deserving being
50 > > called a 'lie') in that summary
51 >
52 > You weren't the Council member referred to. You really don't appear to have
53 > considered my point of view very much.
54
55 So if I don't agree with you and stand up for the work I've put into something I
56 merely "haven't" considered what you said? My work is on the line as is my image
57 of journalism and I certainly double check everything to make sure I am not in
58 the wrong.
59
60 > > I do my best at professional journalism(I am an amateur however) and your
61 > > remarks to the contrary show you haven't given thought to how much time
62 > > and effort I spend at making it unbiased and accurate.
63 > >
64 > You need to think about not simply putting one side of a story in order to
65 > maintain the appearance of impartiality. Which, as you took part in the
66 > politicking, you didn't have in any case.
67
68 Please, point out *how* I politicked(especially in my summary). I think you'd
69 be rather surprised at the outcome. Also point out how I could have been more
70 impartial so I can improve my process.
71
72 > As for your time and effort, you put that in because you want to. While I
73 > appreciate it, I also appreciate how much time and effort everyone else
74 > puts in too; most especially the users without whom nothing would get done.
75
76 You twisted that sentence of mine. I didn't say you should think twice about it
77 being innacurrate because I put a lot of work into the summary, I said it
78 because I had put a lot of work into trying to make it impartial.
79
80 > >> You can keep on doing things badly all you like; just expect to get
81 > >> picked up on it when you summarise it inaccurately in the archives.
82 > >
83 > > See above, especially the part saying "for what he called".
84 > >>
85 > I was answering the "censor him!" tendency that is so prevalent when Gentoo
86 > devs are being picked up on their behaviour and so reviled when it means
87 > disallowing constant poisonous trolling. IIRC the argument is that "it reads
88 > like 'lex ciaran'"; perhaps that's more an indication of how trollish ciaran
89 > actually behaves than a direct attack on him.
90
91 By that logic you should be silenced for what I know is trolling in this thread.
92 Think it's fair?
95 > >> Certainly seems to be what you're best at, after all. Ah oh yes, you're
96 > >> the person who stated user-rel wanted Council to review the decision,
97 > >> which they said they did not. Curious that you should ignore all the
98 > >> points about process and try to make out this is my "personal" issue and
99 > >> not an issue of borked process.
100 > >
101 > > I believe the Council was deciding only on what to do in #-council which
102 > > is as stated their turf. Any userrel issues are probably separate to this
103 > > problem.
104 > >
105 > Hmm firstly I was directly addressing one individual about his actions. He
106 > raised it; either let him answer as to his intent, or speak for yourself.
107
108 Well considering you were replying to *me* on the list it is a logical deduction
109 that you were talking to me. But sorry for that.
110 >
111 > Perhaps you should re-read and reconsider the process in light of what you
112 > now know about userrel not once requesting Council to review, but only for
113
114 The discussion as I saw it was _all_ about your ban in #-council, not having
115 anything to do with userrel actions. Note that in the interests of clarity I
116 even mentioned that the topic was about #-council in the topic of that part of
117 the summary. As stated, userrel does not decide who can be banned in #-council,
118 the council does which is what the council topic was about.
119
120 > >>
121 > >> As stated, summarise correctly, and even better, follow a more
122 > >> professional process, and this sub-topic would never have been raised.
123 > >
124 > > See above.
125 > >
126 > >> As it is, this is
127 > >> about the level of debate I expected; blame the messenger, and avoid our
128 > >> own problems. I am glad there's an election on.
129 > >
130 > > So am I, but your slandering of my platform is not appreciated at all.
131 > >
132 > Please make it clear where I have lied at all. As stated you did take part
133 > in a concerted political end-run around the devrel and userrel procedures.
134
135 How was I involved at all with devrel or userrel? That's a lie right there. For
136 other insults and slandering see the top of my mail.
137 >
138 > I've tried to take that as your ignorance of the situation; if you're saying
139 > you were fully cognizant of the process, then you have changed in the last
140 > 3 years even more than I thought. You really should consider the totality
141 > of what the other person is saying before you libel them.
142
143 I've not libeled anyone, stop saying I have without any proof.
144
145 > As I did in #-devrel AND #-userrel, I'd like to drop this now. As stated it
146 > was only about getting my side of events on the record, since I was given
147 > no opportunity in #-council and indeed zero warning that it was coming. If
148 > that is so hard to comprehend, might I suggest some downtime, as you sound
149 > quite burnt-out to me.
150
151 I'm not burnt out(though I'm going on vacation for a week), and please do not
152 say I am.
153 >
154 > I'll only respond to substantively new issues, and if it all possible I
155 > won't be responding on this thread again. If that offends, it's not
156 > intended.
157
158 Since most of what you have said in this thread is false or insults that
159 shouldn't be too hard.
160 > --
161 > #friendly-coders -- We're friendly but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)
167 Thomas Anderson
168 Gentoo Developer
170 Areas of responsibility:
171 AMD64, Secretary to the Gentoo Council